Preventing Or Seeking Child Move-Away Orders

Many custodial parents believe that they have a right to move away with their children, whether for a job, to be near family or for another reason. While it is possible for custodial parents to move and take their children with them, they must obtain approval from the other parent and possibly seek a child custody modification.

Whether you need a move-away order approved or you would like to prevent your child from moving, it is important to work with a lawyer who will protect your rights and the best interests of your children.

At Thomas Law Offices, we understand the complexities of move-away situations and how they may impact other family law matters, including child support. We will listen to your concerns and tailor our approach to fit your needs. We serve clients in Woodland Hills, Newport Beach and surrounding areas.

Court Considerations For A Move-Away

California courts consider several factors when deciding whether to grant a move-away request. Among other things, they will take into account:

  • The current custody arrangement
  • The relationship the child has with both parents
  • The wishes of the child, in some cases
  • The age of the child
  • How a move might affect the child's life
  • The reason for the move

Preventing A Parent From Moving

When your child's custodial parent tells you of a planned move, it can be very worrisome. You may wonder how it will change your relationship with your child, and you may feel that it is unfair. It is important to understand that you have rights. By taking action and contacting an attorney, you can seek to prevent the move-away.

Our attorney, Kendra Thomas, is a Certified Family Law Specialist. She knows that these matters are urgent, and she will work with you to protect your relationship with your child.

Schedule A Free Consultation Today

To learn more about how we can help you seek or prevent a move-away, call us at 818-538-8637 or schedule a consultation by email. Nous parlons français.